Sunday, January 8, 2012

California took in an orphan, called it Zin

A friend said lately his zin shelf was bare.  Mine, too, but zin upsets me, so I was wary.  A decade ago, when two bottles from the same California vineyard tied my guts in a knot, I took zin off my list.  

A few years passed, and I attended a tasting where I tried a sip of Turley, another from Ridge, 3-4 others, all from California.   The Turley took 2nd in our little circle.   I can't recall the winner, but my faith in zin was restored.
It was at that tasting I heard that Zinfandel--considered a great choice for anyone doing burgers on the deck--has a history that leapfrogs its assumed home in Italy (where they also call it primitivo) to Croatia, its true home.    

It's winter here, and we're in no hurry to haul out the deck chairs, but I did some scouting for my friend, and found half a dozen reliable zins under $16.   They include:

Joel Gott 2008 Zin at $14
Klinker Brick Old Vine 2009 Zin @ $16 ----or $14.50 per half case--the first one I'd like to try, based purely on the name. 
St. Francis Old Vine 2007 Zin  $16
Michael Pozzan Napa Valley Cuvee 2009 Zin $17
Four Vines Maverick Zin $16
Ironstone Reserve 2008 Zin $15

While I'm sure it works, I'd drink a different wine (a nosy syrah) with my deckburger. With Zin I'd consider some chewy Thai dishes, especially those rated 3-5 on the pepper scale.  I don't recommend it. I'm just making a point.   I believe Zin will win more fans as the current crop of winemakers figures out how to take down that spicy edge, round it out and give us a more balanced profile fit for other foods.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment